Thursday, December 8, 2016

Honey, You Want to Leave When?!

Weekends for most people are a time to relax and to sleep in. No so, for the Festival Nomads! We travel to a lot of events that are quite a distance away from where we live, and we like to make the most of each event we visit. So, sometimes we need to leave quite early! That’s why it’s always interesting when Judi asks me what time we have to leave. Basically I’m a “time” coward! When she asks the “time” question, my mind races! I try to be gentle and evasive. I pause and think, and then let my “sales training” kick in! So I answer her question with a question. “What time do YOU want to leave, honey?” or “What time do YOU think we should get there?” Always putting the onus back on her as though it’s her fault that we will have to get up early. Sometime it works, but most of the time it doesn’t. Sometime I just mumble the answer, hoping that she won’t hear me, but she keeps on asking until I give her a “straight” answer. We’ve been married for a long time, so she knows me too well and has my “sneakiness” pegged! I’ve even tried the “old dodge” answer. “Let me think about it. I’ll check their website and let you know. Of course, I already know the answer, but I’m too much of a coward to tell her the truth! It does, however, “buy” me a little time. My “sneakiest moments” are when I don’t give her a straight answer, and then on the morning we have to leave I wake her up and say “Aren’t you getting up, we have to leave soon!” She answers by saying “You never told me.” I come back with a snappy “Yes I did, don’t you remember?!” She knows I’m fibbing. I know I’m “fibbing”, but she a good sport and lets me get away with it! She understands me all too well!

Now, my fellow festival fanatics, I am NOT suggesting that you should follow my lead. In fact, I am hoping just the opposite. We need fewer “time” cowards out there. So stand up and be counted. Fess up and tell your better half that you need to leave at 5:00 am, like it or not! I’m sure he/she won’t hurt you… MUCH!
"What time is it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment