Friday, September 17, 2021

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 7)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

Our Destiny Show

Judi and I were exhibiting at the Toronto Sportsmen’s Show when we were approached by Henry Kole. He asked us if we were familiar with the Buckhorn Wildlife Festival (now the Buckhorn Fine Art Festival). I told him that we were and that, in fact, I worked with the founder of the Festival, Edwin Matthews. With that he proceeded to tell me about an idea he had. He explained it briefly. I was intrigued. I suggested that he and I go and talk about it in greater detail. We walked to one of the coliseum-show arenas and sat down. We must have talked for an hour or more (poor Judi manning the booth alone). At the end of our conversation, Henry said “So, why don’t you move to Cobourg and help me?” It just so happened that Judi and I were thinking about moving and were considering Cobourg as one of the possibilities. I said to Henry “If you can find us a placed to live and perhaps Art Gallery space to rent, we might consider it!” Two days after the show, Henry called me to say that he had a townhouse for us to move to. Judi and I drove to Cobourg to take a look. We loved it! Our destiny was sealed! We rented the townhouse and moved in three months later. Three months you ask! Well, that’s another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment