Friday, November 19, 2021

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 12)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

ACROSS CANADA … Crossing the Rockies

As I said, I had had a number of people tell me how monotonous crossing the Prairies were. I didn’t find it that way at all, and I don’t think Judi did either. I found beauty all around us,; the interesting little Prairie Towns, the fields of waving wheat and the long straight roads. The sun, especially at dust, was spectacular! However, after traveling so far on flat ground, reaching the foothills of the Rocky Mountains was a pleasant relief. I had traveled to Calgary many times by air, so coming into the area by automobile was a new experience. Calgary, itself, is an interesting city, full of life and excitement. Fortunately, we had two good friends who lived in Calgary and they had offered to let us stay with them while we were in the city. Our friends, Melody and Dick Farmer, are wonderful people and we always have a great time when we visit them. At this point in our trip, our stay in Calgary was going to be very short, one night! Our plan was to drive straight through to British Columbia. We had arranged several appointments so we were on a tight schedule, plus, we had to get back to greet the “Queen”! For anyone who has taken the time to “Cross the Rockies”, I am sure that you will agree with me that it is an amazing trip! Along the way we stopped at Yoho National Park. As Judi’s notes in her trip diary, “ground squirrels, mule deers, very spectacular mountains, green, clear rivers, and lush forests!” I think that sums up our Rockies experience! We arrived in Langley, B.C. in time for a meeting with the British Columbia Wildlife Federation (BCWF). From that meeting we went directly to the ferry that would take us to Vancouver Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment