Thursday, December 2, 2021

Happy New Year 2011...

Past Memory, Still Hard to Believe!

 It's hard to believe that 2011 was here! I was waiting for a call from Kingston Hospital telling me that I was scheduled for heart surgery! During the week right after New Year's 2010, I received a call saying that my surgery would be on the following week. On Sunday, the hospital called to say that my surgery was being postponed. Even though I had been warned that this might happen, it was still unnerving. In the week that followed, the hospital called again, telling me that the operation was going to take place on January 18th. The date remained set and I had triple by-pass surgery on that date. Four days later, I was released from the hospital and sent home to recover! Amazing! And, that's how I feel today! The first few months were tough, but with the love and help from Judi, I was able to slowly recover. Today, one year later, I feel great, better than I have felt in years! The journey has been one of reflection and self discovery. As some "philosopher" said, "if had known I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself", or words to the effect. I now realize that my past lifestyle contributed to my illness. As I result, I have tried to change my habits, eating and exercise, completely. It hasn't been easy. Change, even at the best of times, is a challenge. With the help of Judi, I have changed by eating habits. The holidays have been stressful, but the New Year will bring new resolve! Exercise, however, has been on going. I try to workout at our local "Y" at least 5 days a week and usually 6 days. This has at least kept my weight constant during the holidays! I find the exercise therapeutic. It will be something that I will certainly continue and expand during 2011 and beyond. With this new lease on life, I find that I am looking forward to see what each day brings

No comments:

Post a Comment