Saturday, June 18, 2022

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 35)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

Working the Show... (Part Six)

11. Beware of the Big Rush... Watch Out for The Waves!
One of the things that always frightened Judi and I was “the Big Rush”! This occurred at the end of a show when all of the exhibitors were trying to get to their trucks first. As I mentioned before, the Big Rush for Judi and I, never really happened, because we always had to take our time to carefully systematically repack the fragile paintings. So imagine, if you will, Judi and I calmly standing in our booth, wrapping fragile, expensive paintings, when all of a sudden a large boat looms in the distance! "The BOAT is coming straight towards us at break-neck speed. The boat is on two dollies and is being propelled by four strapping young men. All of whom, seem to be oblivious to the carnage they are about to create! As the boat nears, we brace for the worst. As the boat comes towards our booth, the crew makes a sharp turn towards the exit. The boat however has other ideas and decides that it was going to tip into our booth and onto our fragile, expensive paintings! Then, with a loud thump, the boat comes crashing off the dollies and crashes onto the cement floor! Judi and I gasped! A miracle has happened! Somehow the young men have been able to control the crash and it misses our paintings by mere inches!" It was a harrowing experience, but one that actually happened and one that we were eventually able to laugh about. And actually, the biggest laugh was, that Judi and I, once the catastrophe was over, packed up all
 our paintings, loaded our van and were on our way before the “boat people” “got afloat”! So much for the BIG RUSH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment