Friday, August 19, 2022

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 36)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

The Biggies and More...

Judi and I have attended and volunteered at a number of fundraising auction dinners. These are a lot of fun and, of course, raise money for worthwhile causes. In the next few articles, I am going to tell you about two of the larger and more interesting fundraising dinners we have visited and about some of the funny things that we have seen at other fundraising auctions we have attended!

The Warren Michigan Banquet (Accounting)...

As I mentioned previously, Judi was assigned, by Sam, to the accounting table. Although keeping everyone until the end of the evening is beneficial for financial reasons, (bidders stay and bid), checking out is another story. Here is where Judi tells a tale!

“A quick story actually. As the banquet closed, a swarm of people anxious to “cash out” came to the check out table, ALL AT ONCE! To my surprise, most of the folks paid for their purchases with CASH! United States paper money cash! To me, all the money looked the same. I had been in the financial industry in downtown Toronto for 10 years, so I would have liked to think I had some skills with handling money. However, as folks pulled out their wads of money, I was painfully slow at counting it for them. As I mentioned, the $10 looked like the $20’s and so on. I was grateful for the few folks who paid by credit cards, as I was able to assist more quickly”!

No comments:

Post a Comment