Thursday, May 11, 2017

I Am Not A Camel…

With the hot weather (I hope) approaching, it’s time to consider water! “Walking a festival”, especially a large one, can be hard work and made worse, when it’s hot! The Nomad can work up a terrible thirst, after all he’s (me) not a “camel”! When I get dehydrated, I need water, lots of it, so I need to have water available at all times. Going without water is not an option. So, I either have to buy water when I get to a festival or I have to bring some with me. Fortunately most festivals and events, these days, provide lots of places to purchase water. That being the case, I normally do a combination of both. I bring one or two bottles and then purchase more if it is needed. One thing that is happening in the world today, is the “GREEN” effect. Most everyone is concerned about their imprint on the world, and I am no different. Plastic water bottles are starting to become a big concern and a lot of festivals are now considering alternatives. I attended a seminar a while ago and the speaker, the Manager of the Hillside Festival in Guelph, was talking about her festival and how they were trying to change the habits of their visitors. Their solution was to sell empty “Hillside Festival” refillable bottles and then provide a large tank of drinking water, where attendees could fill their bottles for free. Not only does this help eliminate plastic bottles, it’s a heck of a good promotion for the Hillside Festival. I hope more festivals and events follow their led! In this vain, Judi and I were in a grocery store the other day and saw refillable bottles for sale. They were great because they had a carrying shoulder strap. We purchase two for ourselves and encourage others to do the same. Hopefully festivals will see the “GREEN” light and provide drinking water. After all, "I am not a camel"…


No comments:

Post a Comment