Thursday, March 26, 2020

Aaron Bell – Ojibwa Storyteller

We discovered Aaron Bell at the 2007 Mississauga Waterfront Festival. Judi and I had been exploring the festival’s grounds when we came across Aaron and the White Pines Dancers. Aaron was on stage, in full regalia, preparing for his upcoming performance. The White Pines Dancers were also on stage talking among themselves. The beautiful costumes that they were all wearing fascinated me. I walked up to the stage and asked Aaron when they were going to perform. I thought he was one of the Dancers, so I was surprised when he told me that he was an Ojibwa Storyteller and that he would be performing after the Dancers. We talk for a while about the Ojibwa and their stories. I had a little knowledge about them because of my friendship with Ojibwa artist David Johnson from Curve Lake. Aaron suggested that we come back in about ½ hour for the start of the dance. We did come back and set up our folding chairs near the front of the stage. First came the White Pines Dancers who were introduced by Aaron. Their wonderful costumes certainly added to the drama of the dance! Then it was Aaron’s turn. There were a number of children in the audience and Aaron invited them to come closer to the stage. He then began to tell us many Ojibwa stories and legends! The audience, especially the children, were mesmerized! The whole ensemble, Aaron and the White Pines Dancers was very entertaining and I congratulate the Mississauga Waterfront Festival for bringing them to the festival! Aaron and his friends perform all over Canada and especially enjoy performing for and teaching with children

No comments:

Post a Comment