Thursday, August 19, 2021

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 3)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

Our Second Show

After surviving our first consumer show, Judi and I felt (well at least I did) that we were seasoned professionals! The second show was in Hamilton at their Sportsmen’s Show. Set-up was easy, because we were able to bring our vehicle right into the building, the Copps Coliseum. Set-up had the normal trials and tribulations, but we were able to work through them with few problems. Even the show, itself, went off without a hitch. By the end of the show we (me) were feeling pretty confident and perhaps a little cocky (me)! Like with the set up, we were allowed to bring our truck into the building for the take down! Even the take down went fairly well. Judi and I loaded up the truck and closed the rear doors. We were all ready to drive home! I climbed into the driver’s seat, turn the ignition key and "nothing happened"! NO sign of life in the engine, none what so ever! By this time other trucks were ready to leave! The only problem was, we were blocking the passage way! We tried everything to get the vehicle started, but nothing worked! By this time our fellow exhibitors were losing their patience! Horns started to blare and voices rose. Finally with the help of a few “angry” men, we were able to push the vehicle out the way. With a riot averted, we were able to calmly contact CAA and get the vehicle started. Sheepishly, we drove home, ready for our (gulp!) next adventure!

(To be continues in Part 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment