Friday, October 8, 2021

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 9 - Continued)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

ACROSS CANADA … the First 26 Hours (Part Two)

 Back on the road we traveled into the night (morning by this time). I was getting quite tired, so Judi offered to drive. We had traveled quite far and were now “in the middle of nowhere”. I think Wisconsin, but I’m not sure. I had just settled down to sleep when I heard an “Oh @#@!@” from the front! I quickly woke up, to find us slowing down! We had run out of gas! We had no idea where the nearest town was! I got out of the car and started to walk. I had no idea which direction to go, so I just took one and walked. It was around 5:30 in the morning! It was very quite dark and very still! We were in a rural residential area. As I walked, I heard a faint banging from one of the houses. I walked towards the noise and saw a gentleman at the side of his house. I approached him and explained our problem. He said that he could easily help us. Apparently, he used to run a service station and he had some spare gas. He drove me back to our car and emptied the gas can into our van. We were all set to continue. When he saw our Ontario license plate, he brightened up. He told us that he was originally from Quebec and a fellow Canadian! It was hard to believe our good fortune! The nearest town and service station was over 10 miles away! Delayed for an hour or two, we continued on our journey. We arrived in Minneapolis four or five hours late. The Hadley House offices were about to close, but one of the managers had been waiting for us. We explained our hold-ups and he kindly suggested that we should meet in the morning. We had been on the road for 26 hours straight! It was time to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment