Monday, May 16, 2022

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 35)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

Working the Show... (Part One)

Over the years Judi and I have worked and managed many show booths! The two hardest, but most “interesting” aspects of “Working the Show”, are the “Set-Ups” and the “Take Downs”! To me, the “set-ups” are the hardest. You want to make your booth look “perfect”. The process, actually, starts prior to the show; gathering up materials and products. In our case, fragile framed art. And then, once everything is gathered, it needs to be packed in the car, van or truck neatly and methodically. Also, part of the preliminary process is planning how the booth will look, and where everything will be placed. Arriving early at the festival or show is always a good idea! With everything “perfectly” in place, it’s time for the “set-up”. Nothing can go wrong! Or can it? Here is a list of some of our more “interesting” experiences!

8.    Hurry Up and Wait...

At one show we were required to take our van to an off-site location and then wait to be called to come to the show site. In our show package we were given an exact time to be at the off-site location, plus an approximate time that we would be allowed to drive into the show. It was like being at a doctor’s office. I got there right on time, but there we had to wait two hours before they would allow me to leave for the show site. In the meantime, Judi was at our booth wondering where I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment