Saturday, July 9, 2022

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 36)

Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

The Biggies and More... (Part One)

Judi and I have attended and volunteered at a number of fundraising auction dinners. These are a lot of fun and, of course, raise money for worthwhile causes. In the next few articles, I am going to tell you about two of the larger and more interesting fundraising dinners we have visited and about some of the funny things that we have seen at other fundraising auctions we have attended!

The Warren Michigan Banquet (Set-up) ...

The Ruffed Grouse Society (RGS) represents thousands of Ruffed Grouse and American Woodcock hunters across the United States and Canada. To help perpetuate their good works, they hold a number of fundraising auction dinners a year. Their Warren Michigan Banquet was, and perhaps still is, one of their 2 largest fundraising dinners. The other large banquet was held in Pittsburg. Judi and I attended the Warren Banquet when it was much better times for the "Big Three" auto makers. This event would draw over 1000 attendees. At the time, we were supplying RGS banquets with most of their framed art. We had a great relationship with the Society and when the Executive Director, Sam Purseglove asked if Judi and I would like to come to Warren and help with the banquet, we jumped at the chance! The event was being held on a Saturday evening, so Sam asked us to a day or two in advance. When we arrived all the boxes were laid out and ready to be set up. Sam asked if we were ready to pitch-in. Judi and I took a deep breath and said yes!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment