Friday, September 30, 2022

INSIDE with the Festival Nomad (No. 36)

 Over the years I have attended, worked with and organized hundreds of festivals and events. With this new series, "INSIDE with the Festival Nomad", I want to give you an "inside" look at some of the festivals and events that I have been involved with or that I have visited. Along the way, I have had a lot of fun and sometimes frustration, but I have never been bored!

The Biggies and More...

Judi and I have attended and volunteered at a number of fundraising auction dinners. These are a lot of fun and, of course, raise money for worthwhile causes. In the next few articles, I am going to tell you about two of the larger and more interesting fundraising dinners we have visited and about some of the funny things that we have seen at other fundraising auctions we have attended!

National Rifle Association Annual Meeting (Pittsburgh - Continued)

In the morning the hall was inspected to make sure that everything was just right. At noon the doors were open and people came streaming in. Judi and I had been asked if we would run one of the games, which we gladly did. It was both hectic and a lot of fun. The enthusiasm of the participants was infectious. Eventually everyone was asked to find their table and take a seat. The meal was served with military precision and was delicious. During the meal silent auction winners were announced, as were draw winners. Near the end of the meal the “live” auction began. As the auctioneer described what was being offered, large screens showed the auction item. With that, the auction began in earnest! It’s hard to imagine how much money was spent, that day, but a lot! Then, just as quickly as the event began, it ended. As I mentioned before, people were asked to leave the hall without delay, so the Secret Service and bomb sniffing dogs could begin their work!

No comments:

Post a Comment